The way this case came to us was interesting. A mutual friend referred the patient to us, and we were told that the case was urgent, and we were to see the patient at the earliest possible date.
On March 13, 2012, a 21 year-old man came to see me. He works as an office assistant, and came with complaint of excessive perspiration of palms and soles.
He tells us, “My hands feel wet, and there is difficulty in writing. This is a problem since childhood. I have very cold hands. If I am writing on paper, the paper becomes wet. I don’t know what kind of illness or disease this is. I have gone to various doctors but was not able to get a diagnosis.
“It feels bad that when people meet they shake my hand, and they might think I am suffering from some illness. My shoes smell because of the perspiration. People misunderstand, and this affects me a lot. What will others think, as myfeetare smelling?”
When questioned about this experience, he cannot go any further with it.
By nature, the patient says he is a friendly person; he enjoys playing, watching movies, going out with friendsand listening to music remixes. He enjoys his time with friends and will not fight with them. He says that he doesn’t like fighting withor abusing anyone because “people watching may think that I am a bad person, with no good manners, so I am always cheerful with others. I like making good friends and being part of the group. If you fight and are not good to people then no one is your friend.”
Everyone at his work likes him, as he is well mannered andhard-working. He has no girlfriend. He says, “If anyone has a girlfriend he will not work properly; his mind will be disturbed and he will get shouted at by the bosses. They will think you are not a nice person and then your name is spoiled – they will say, ‘That the boy is off track, and a bad person.’”
- His ambition in life: he wants to be an important person or a supervisor and earn a lot of money. Then he will have more work and his reputation will grow. “People will say I was a hard-working boy– that I had a lot of hardship but now I have gone so far ahead in life. I will meet a lot of important people and my self-respect will increase. Everyone who knows me will say,‘Look, he is the boy who has done so much hard work and succeeded.’Mother will be happy about me.”
- He says, “I dislike friends who drink and smoke – I avoid their company. Those things affect your health everyday, and then one becomes sick, and prey to various illnesses. Life is shortened, and mother will also scold and hit if I am involved in such things. Ones name is spoiled in society – they will say, ‘Look, he is a bad person.’ I dislike it if anyone talks bad about me, as I am not bad, I am good.”
- He says that his saddest incident in life was his father’s death. His brother was handicapped, his sister was small, and all of the responsibilities of supporting the family fell to him. “I had no knowledge about anything, there was no support at all, and I had to manage all the expenses of the house, as I was the responsible person. My mother, sister and brother were all dependent on me and I had to manage to earn for them.I had to work for the family – if would do something wrong people would think, and mother would think, that I am not a good child.”
- He has frightening dreams of snakes trying to follow or kill him, and dreams of dead people.As a child he never watched horror movies because they would scare him.
- His appetite is good.
- He desires meat, chicken, spices, fruits and potatoes.
- He has an aversion to vegetarian dishes.
- His sleep is satisfactory; he sleeps on his right side.
- He drinks about 2 litres a day. He prefers water that is neither too hot nor too cold.
Analysis of the case
The chief complaint of the patient itself is very characteristic: he has cold sweat on his palms and soles. The effect of his complaint is that he feels anxious that something has happened to his health, and worried about what people might think of him when he shakes hands with them, or when he takes off his shoes in front of others. When you go to other areas of his life, the issue comes up repeatedly that it is very important to him that people perceive him as a well-mannered, hard-working, nice person who has achieved a lot in life. The most stressful situation in his life was when his father expired and all of the family responsibilities fell to him. His experience in this situation was anxiety about living up to the responsibility, and that there was no support. He has the constant feeling that he must meet the expectations of others and be seen as a good child, who has worked hard in life and has risen to a good position. He is very sincere, not involved in smoking, drinking or fighting. He is so intent on creating a good image that he even avoids having a girlfriend in his life. He feels that if he has a girlfriend than his boss might think that he is in bad company and that his work will be affected.
He has frightening dreams of snakes and dead people, and in childhood was afraid of scary movies.
The following repertorization was carried out in Radar, version 10.5.003, using Synthesis Repertory, 2009 edition, by Frederik Schroyens.
References from Homoeopathic literature:
Rajan Sankaran, from – The Soul of Remedies:
- In Calc Sil support is available, so he turns to people for support, puts his trust in other people, goes to get psychotherapy, i.e. desire to be magnetized (Sil, Calc).
- The divergence from other remedies comes with anxiety about health. It is not an ordinary anxiety but a severe one. It is seen in teenage boys who ought to be out enjoying life but who come to the clinic, spending hours there, worrying about some sneezing, a cold, or the del. of heart problem. The fear is of having an incurable disease. It is not a simple fear. It is a fear that paralyses them and prevents them from going ahead in life. The only advantage of the fear is that it makes them non-achievers, more dependent.
Jan Scholten, from Homoeopathy and the Elements:
Silicatumo Imageo Relations Family
Calciumo Uncertaino Observed
Remedy: Calcareasilicata 200C, single dose; Sac lac daily
Follow-up, March 12, 2012:
Sweating and offensiveness of palms and soles have reduced 60%. Acidity has also reduced.
Dreams: of dead person – “if something happens to me”.
Emotionally, the patient feels good, that things are fine. He says that he is feeling more confident, as the perspiration has reduced.
Remedy: Sac lac twice daily, for one month
Follow-up, June 16, 2012:
Sweating of palms and soles has reduced 70%. The patient says, “I am feeling much more confident and less anxious compared to before; I was anxious before doing something new or meeting people, and that is all reduced now.”
Remedy: Sac lac, twice daily for one month
Follow-up, August 8, 2012
Throat infection. Had some food from outside, which caused slight irritation.
Perspiration of palms is almost negligible. The patient feels more confident and his anxieties are reduced, to a great extent.
Remedy: Sac lac twice daily for one month.
As mentioned at the beginning, this case was taken as an urgent appointment.When I first saw the patient I was astonished to learn that the he had no problem more serious than perspiration of the hands! But this in itself was an entry point into the case for me.The chief complaint itself became the anchor,added to which was the patient’s great anxiety about his health.Then, when I went on enquiring into every aspect, we could see how beautifully his concern with respect to health, job and security unfolded. And what made me more sure of the prescription were the words of Dr. Sankaran: “You can be sure of the prescription when the symptoms and the system go hand in hand”. On rechecking the case for any prejudice on our part in prescribing, we saw that indeed, the symptoms and system information indicating Calcarea silicata were really coming together. This is a very simple case, but even here we could have difference of opinion in prescribing if we considered only the repertorization, as quite a number of remedies came through strongly. It was with the help of system understanding that we could directly take Calcarea silicata and not one of the other remedies.
Dr. Manish Yadav & Dr. Sadaf Ulde, B.H.M.S.
Senior Residents, ‘the other song’ – International Academy of Advanced Homoeopathy